Roanoke, VA - Wesleyan College recorded its largest margin of victory in school history on Friday afternoon with a 10-0 shutout win against Hollins University in the team's regular season opener. Seven Wesleyan players combined to score 10 goals with senior Katie Tanner netting a career high four. Sophomore Carlee Dykes and freshman Kayleigh Buie joined forces in goal to keep Hollins off the scoreboard.
- Today's 10 goals marks the second most goals scored in a match by the Wolves, who previously scored 11 versus Oakwood in 2013.
- Katie Tanner doubled her career scoring total with today's performance.
- Wesleyan's freshmen stepped up in their first collegiate match and proved invaluable for the Wolves offense. Fetlework Blitch, Madison Thornton and Sophia Borovsky each netted their first career goal, while Nadia Al-Shahabi recorded four of the team's six assists. Defensively, freshman Kayleigh Buie played the second half of the match in goal, recording two saves.
- Senior captains Kylie Lovett and Jessical Austell each scored in today's match as did junior college transfer Kourtney Mydlowski.
- Wesleyan's offense took 30 shots on goal as compared to Hollins two, completely dominating the ball and controlling possession throughout the match.
Head coach Ian Doherty, who earned his first collegiate coaching win, remarked, "We created many chances and we were clinical in front of goal. It was good to keep a clean sheet and be able to score goals. This was the perfect way to start our season."
Saturday, Sept. 2 | Sweetbriar College | Sweet Briar, VA | 12:00pm