Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

  • Where is the Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center?
    • The Equestrian Center is conveniently located on the back side of campus across from the Mathews Athletic Center, making it a short walk from the dorms and classroom buildings.
  • What disciplines are included in the riding program at Wesleyan?
    • The riding program focuses on hunt seat equitation, jumper, dressage, and Western horsmanship. Students from beginners to advanced riders are welcome to ride.
  • Can I get a job at the Equestrian Center?
    • Yes, students may apply to work at the barn to assist in day to day to operations. Students can also enroll in the work study program, through Financial Aid, which can be completed at the barn.
  • Does Wesleyan offer a degree in Equine Science?
    • Wesleyan currently does not offer a degree in Equine Science, though the College has been approved to move forward with this option in the future. Wesleyan does offer a minor in Equine Assisted Therapy (E.A.T.) in conjunction with the Psychology department.
  • Does Wesleyan offer riding scholarships?
    • Yes, we offer the the Ryan's Hope Scholarship through the equestrian program.


  • Does Wesleyan offer boarding?
    • Yes, Wesleyan reserves a certain number of stalls for students to bring their horses.
  • How much is board and what is included?
    • For the school year 2019-20, board is $500 per month. It includes a 12X12 stall, turnout, feed, hay, worming program, full use of the facilities, a fan in the summer and blanketing in the winter.
  • If I bring my horse to Wesleyan, will he/she be used in the riding program?
    • The student and coach will make this decision on an individual basis. The riding program focuses on riders developing their riding and horsemanship skills on as many different horses as possible.
  • How often does the veterinarian and farrier come out to the barn? Can I bring my own vet and/or farrier in to treat my horse?
    • Wesleyan has a farrier come to the barn several times a month and a vet visits on a regular basis as well as on an as needed basis. Boarders are responsible for their ferrier and vet fees. Boarders must have prior approval from the Center Director to bring an outside vet and/or farrier to Wesleyan.

Riding Program

  • What type of competitions does the Equestrian Team compete in?
    • Wesleyan College is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and the Intercolligiate Dressage Association (IDA). Wesleyan also hosts a Spring and Fall schooling show.
  • Do I have to own my own horse to ride?
    • No, Wesleyan owns a number of school horses, both hunt seat and western, that are used for lessons. Each horse has been generously donated and has extensive show records.
  • I do not want to ride on the team but would like to ride, what are my options?
    • Even if you are not interested in riding on the team you can take a riding class, in which you would ride once a week and receive credit.
  • Can I bring in an outside instructor to work with me?
    • The Equestrian Center is for the sole use of those student riders and boarders who participate in the riding program. Due to the busy traffic in the arena, outside instructors are not allowed.