Monday, February 20, 2017
West Point, GA - In her collegiate debut, Wesleyan freshman Gillian Pritchett earned the Wolves tennis team its only point in their season opening match at Point University, defeating Victoria White by a score of 6-1, 6-0. Amber Davis and Keo Epps also played a close matche in their doubles opener, falling just short of earning the Wolves an additional point.
First year head coach Alex Kosicki stated, "Our Point University match today showed our team that we are going to be able to compete and that we can handle some of the better teams we play. I couldn't be more proud of the work that our women have put in. Points were close and games were close, but unfortunately Point was a bit too strong overall."
"Some of the match highlights included our No. 2 doubles (Amber Davis and Keo Epps) playing incredible together, losing by a close 8-5 score. Amber also pressured her opponent in singles, losing 7-5, 6-0. Our only point came from Gillian Pritchett at the No. 6 singles position as she won 6-1, 6-0. She was a backboard and her consistency is what won her the match. I can't wait to see the continued improvement by our women. This is a great first step, and I am so proud of their effort."
Point University 8, Wesleyan College 1
1. Luz Padilla (PU) def. Emilie Leveille (WC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Katie Larck (PU) def. Amber Davis (WC) 7-5, 6-0
3. Martina Belloni (PU) def. Centara Nulf (WC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Eman Cohen (PU) def. Laura Harness (WC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Victoria White (PU) def. Keondria Epps (WC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gillian Pritchett (WC) def. Ashley Lane (PU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Katie Larck/Luz Padilla (PU) def. Centara Nulf/Emilie Leveille (WC) 8-0
2. Taylor Navarro/Eman Cohen (PU) def. Amber Davis/Keondria Epps (WC) 8-5
3. Martina Belloni/Victoria White (PU) def. Rebecca Cheng/Gillian Pritchett (WC) 8-0
Next Match: Wednesday, February 22 | Oglethorpe University | Macon, GA | 4:00pm
Overall Record: 0-1